A BRIEF HISTORY OF WARWICK, WARWICKSHIRE, ENGLAND
By Tim Lambert
Warwick began as a Saxon settlement. The name Warwick is derived from two Saxon words, wering, which meant weir and wic, which meant houses or settlement. So it was wering wic the settlement by the weir.
In the 10th century Warwick was made into a fortified town or burh. The Saxons created a network of fortified settlements called burhs across their kingdom. In the event of a Danish attack all the men from the area could gather together in the local burh. A ditch and a wall protected Saxon Warwick. However Warwick was more than a fortress. It also had weekly markets and a mint. Saxon Warwick was a flourishing little town.
By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 Warwick probably had a population of about 1,500. To us it would seem tiny but settlements were very small in those days. By the standards of the time Medieval Warwick was a fair sized market town.
The Normans built a castle at Warwick. At first it was of wood but later it was rebuilt in stone. The castle stimulated the growth of the town because the garrison provided a market for the towns goods.
In the Middle Ages Warwick was protected by wall. There were three great gates in the north, east and west. Today East Gate and West Gate still stand.
St Sepulchre's Priory was founded in the 12th century. In the 13th century Dominican friars came to Warwick. Friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world they went out to preach. Dominican friars were called black friars because of the color of their costumes.
St Mary's Church dates from the 12th century. The Beauchamp Chapel is the burial place of Richard Beauchamp who died in 1439.
In Medieval Warwick there were the same craftsmen you would find in any town such as brewers, butchers, bakers, blacksmiths and carpenters. However Warwick was a market town rather than a manufacturing center. As well as weekly markets from 1261 Warwick also had annual fairs. In the Middle Ages fairs were like markets but they were held only once a year and they attracted buyers and sellers from far and wide.
In the 16th century Henry VIII closed Warwick priory. On the other hand he incorporated Warwick. (That is he granted it the right to form a corporation to run its affairs). At first the corporation was run by a bailiff but later Warwick had a mayor. Oken's House was the home of a 16th century bailiff named Thomas Oken.
Meanwhile in the late Middle Ages and in Tudor times, by law, men had to practice archery on Sundays. They practiced at the Butts. Like many towns Warwick still has a street named The Butts.
In 1571 Lord Leicester founded almshouses known as Lord Leycester Hospital.
By the early 17th century Warwick was a bustling little town with a population of about 3,000. However like all towns at that time it suffered outbreaks of plague. The plague struck in 1604-05 and killed many people. Nevertheless the population of Warwick continued to grow and Warwick Market Hall was built in 1670.
Then in 1694 disaster struck Warwick. A fire destroyed many of the buildings in Warwick. However they were eventually rebuilt and the town continued to prosper.
The nave and tower of St Mary's Church were destroyed in the fire. They were rebuilt in the years 1698 to 1704 by William Wilson. Warwick Court House was built in 1725.
At the end of the 18th century transport to and from Warwick was improved when canals were dug. The Warwick and Birmingham canal opened in 1793. The Warwick and Napton canal opened in 1800.
In 1801 Warwick had a population of over 5,500. By the standards of the time it was a fair sized town. It grew rapidly in the early 19th century but growth then slowed. By 1951 Warwick only had a population of 15,000.
There were a number of improvements to Warwick in the 19th century. In 1810 some of the streets of Warwick were paved and in 1822 Warwick gained a gas supply. In 1849 a hospital was built and in the late 19th century a clean water supply was created and sewers were dug. A public library opened in Warwick in 1866. Furthermore the railway reached Warwick in 1852.
From 1881 horse drawn trams ran from Warwick to Leamington. At the beginning of the 20th century they were replaced by electric trams. However they gave way in turn to buses.
Through the centuries Warwick was a market town rather than a manufacturing center. That remains true today but Warwick University was founded in 1965. Today the population of Warwick is 22,000.
A history of Birmingham
A history of Coventry
A history of Stratford
A history of Dudley
A history of Nuneaton
A history of Hinckley