A Timeline of Hereford

By Tim Lambert

c 650 The Saxons create a settlement at Hereford

676 Hereford is given a bishop

700 Hereford has grown into a busy little market town

760 The English fight the Welsh at Hereford

900 Hereford is a fortified settlement as well as a market town

914 The Danes attack Hereford but are repulsed

1055 The Welsh burn Hereford

1100 Many Normans live in Hereford. A stone bridge is built over the Wye.

1121 There is a Jewish community in Hereford. The town has an annual fair as well as weekly markets.

1180 A new Bishops Palace is built

1189 Hereford is given a charter (a document granting the townspeople certain rights)

1227 Hereford is given a second fair. In Hereford, the main industry is wool making.

1282 Bishop Thomas Cantilupe dies and is buried in Hereford. In 1320 he is canonised and people flock to visit his remains.

1383 the first record of a mayor in Hereford

1384 A grammar school is founded in Hereford. The population of Hereford is about 5,000.

1580 Plague strikes Hereford

1610 Plague strikes Hereford again

1614 Coningsby Hospital is built

1621 The Old House is built

1630 Aubreys Almshouses are built

1642-45 During the Civil War Hereford changes hands several times

1680 The wool industry in Hereford is in rapid decline

1757 Hereford has a population of 5,592. It has declined in importance since the Middle Ages and is now a quiet market town.

1774 A group of men is formed with powers to pave and light the streets of Hereford.

1783 Hereford Hospital is built

1786 The west tower of Hereford Cathedral collapses

1801 Hereford has a population of 6,838

1836 Hereford gains gas street lighting

1854 The railway reaches Hereford

1856 A waterworks is built in Hereford

1860 The Buttermarket is built

1873 A museum and library opens

1897 Victoria Suspension Bridge is built

1899 Hereford gains an electricity supply

1904 A new Town Hall is built

1911 The first cinema in Hereford opens

1922 A War Memorial opens in St Peters Square

1931 The population of Hereford is 24,000

1940 The County Hospital opens

1949 Hereford Technical College opens

1968 An inner ring-road is completed

1981 Hereford Cider Museum opens

1996 Mappa Mundi Library opens

1998 The Courtyard Arts Centre opens

2005 A statue of composer Edward Elgar is unveiled