A HISTORY OF ALTON, ENGLAND
By Tim Lambert
ALTON IN THE 19th CENTURY
Alton grew rapidly during the 19th century. By 1851 the population of Alton had passed 3,500 and by the end of the century it was over 5,000. A new Town Hall was built in 1813.
There were many improvements to Alton during the 19th century. In 1844 Alton gained a gas supply. In 1852 Alton was connected to London by railway and in 1865 it was connected to Winchester. The first cemetery in Alton opened in 1856. In 1865 Curtis Museum was founded. It moved to the present building in 1880.
In 1862 a sewage works was built at Alton. It was followed by a waterworks in 1876. Meanwhile All Saints Church was consecrated in 1874 and the Assembly Rooms were built in 1880.
ALTON IN THE 20th CENTURY
Improvements continued in Alton during the 20th century. Lord Mayor Treloar Hospital was built in 1908. (It was named after a Lord Mayor of London who helped to raise funds). In the 1920s the first council houses were built in Alton. Then in 1927 Alton gained electricity and Alton Convent School for Girls opened in 1938.
From the early 19th century Alton was noted for its brewing industry and today it has modern industrial estates.
Today Alton is a flourishing town. St Mary's Roman Catholic Church was built in 1966. Alton bypass was built in 1971. Alton Sports Centre opened in 1972. It was followed by a Health Centre in 1974 and Alton Community Centre in 1975. Alton College opened in 1978. Also in 1978 Alton Magistrates Court opened.
ALTON IN THE 21st CENTURY
Alton Maltings Centre opened in 2005. In the same year, 2005 Alton library opened in a new building. Today Alton is still a flourishing town. Today the population of Alton is nearly 17,000.
A timeline of Alton
A brief history of Farnham
A brief history of Petersfield
A brief history of Andover
Famous people from Hampshire