By Tim Lambert
Dorking began as a Saxon village. It’s name was probably Deorc ingas, which meant the people of Deorc.
At the time of the Domesday Book in 1086 Dorking may have had a population of about 250. By the standards of the time it was quite a large village. Dorking had 4 watermills that ground grain to flour for the villagers. There was also a church in Dorking. In the Middle Ages Dorking had a weekly market but it was mainly an agricultural settlement. In Tudor Times it was a tiny market town.
Dorking grew larger in the 17th century and the 18th century especially when a turnpike road was built through the town. In 1755 an Act of Parliament allowed local people to form a turnpike trust to build and maintain it.
In 1801, Dorking was still only a small market town, with a population of around 2,000. However it grew larger during the 19th century by 1911 its population reached 7,000.
Amenities in the town improved. In 1834 Dorking gained gas light. Dorking Community Hospital opened in 1863. At first it was Dorking Cottage Hospital. The old Public Hall was built in 1872. In 1902 Dorking gained an electricity supply. Meanwhile, the railway reached Dorking in 1849. A line was built from Redhill to Reading. In 1867 a railway directly from Dorking to London was built.
During the 20th century Dorking continued to flourish. Dorking Halls was built in in 1931. Dorking Police Station was built in 1960. Dorking Museum opened in 1976. St Martin’s Walk shopping centre was also built in 1976.
In the 21st century Dorking is a prosperous commuter town. The sculpture, the Dorking Cockerel was unveiled in 2007. Today the population of Dorking is 17,000.
