A BRIEF HISTORY OF DONCASTER
By Tim Lambert
THE ROMAN FORT AT DONCASTER
The history of Doncaster began when the Romans built a fort in the area about 71 AD. The Romans called the fort Danum. However in the 4th century Roman civilization declined and the last Roman soldiers left Britain in 407 AD.
After the Romans left a village there was a village by the fort. It was called Don ceaster. In time the name changed to Doncaster.
DONCASTER IN THE MIDDLE AGES
In the 12th century Doncaster grew into a busy town. In 1194 King Richard I gave Doncaster a charter (a document granting or confirming certain rights). In the Middle Ages Doncaster was a busy little market town although it would seem tiny to us. In 1204 Doncaster suffered a disastrous fire. In the Middle Ages most buildings were of wood so fire was a constant hazard. On the other hand if buildings did burn they could be easily be replaced.
The street name gate is derived from the old Danish word 'gata' which meant street. In Medieval towns craftsmen of one type tended to live in the same street. Baxter is an old word for baker so Baxtergate in Doncaster was the baker's street. Frenchgate may be named after French speaking Normans who settled there.
In the 14th century friars arrived in Doncaster. The friars were like monks but instead of withdrawing from the world they went out to preach. In 1307 Franciscan friars arrived in Doncaster. They were called grey friars because of the color of their costumes. Carmelites or white friars arrived in the middle of the 14th century.
During the 16th century and 17th century the little market town of Doncaster continued to grow. This was despite outbreaks of plague in 1562, 1582, 1583, 1604 and 1606. Each time plague struck a significant part of the town's population perished but each time it recovered.
Doncaster gained a grammar school in 1575. However Doncaster suffered an outbreak of typhoid in 1700.
In the 18th century Doncaster was a coaching town. Many stagecoaches passed through Doncaster and there were many inns. Moreover the Mansion House in Doncaster was built in the years 1744-1750.
Doncaster gained its first theatre in 1776. Furthermore Doncaster is famous for horse racing. The St Ledger was first held in 1776.
In 1792 a dispensary opened in Doncaster where the poor could obtain free medicines.
DONCASTER IN THE 19TH CENTURY
By 1831 Doncaster had a population of 10,000. By the standards of the time it was quite large. However like all towns in those days it was dirty and unsanitary and many of the inhabitants lived in squalid and overcrowded conditions. However things improved in the late 19th century when sewers were built in Doncaster and a piped water supply was created. An infirmary opened in Doncaster in 1853. The first free public library in Doncaster opened in 1869.
A new Guildhall was built in 1847 and a Corn Exchange, where grain was bought and sold was built in 1873. Meanwhile the railway reached Doncaster in 1849. Railways meant the end of the stagecoaches but they brought new prosperity to the town. The first public library in Doncaster opened in 1869.
St Georges Church was rebuilt in 1858. It was designed by the architect Sir George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878).
In 1827 the Corporation decided to light the streets of Doncaster with gas. Doncaster gained electric light in 1899.
In 1853 the Great Northern Railway moved its engine building works from Boston to Doncaster. The engine works became the main employer in the town. In the late 19th and 20th centuries industry in Doncaster was dominated by engineering.
DONCASTER IN THE 20TH CENTURY
From 1902 electric trams ran in the streets of Doncaster. However trolleybuses replaced the trams in the years 1928-1931. The trolleybuses were in turn phased out in the years 1961-1963.
Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery opened in 1909. (A new purpose built museum opened in 1964). Also in 1909 Britain's first aviation meeting was held in Doncaster. Elmfield Park opened in 1923.
In 1914 the Borough of Doncaster was extended to include Hexthorpe, Wheatley and Balby. Doncaster grew rapidly in the early 20th century and by 1951 it had a population of 83,000. Furthermore in the 20th century Doncaster became known for its butterscotch.
Doncaster escaped relatively lightly during the Second World War although there was a serious attack in May 1941 when 2 parachute mines fell on the town.
The Frenchgate Centre (originally called the Arndale Centre) was built in Doncaster in 1967 and Waterfield Centre was built in 1969.
DONCASTER IN THE 21ST CENTURY
Robin Hood Airport opened near Doncaster in 2005. Today the population of Doncaster is 109,000.
A timeline of Doncaster
A brief history of Lincoln
A brief history of Rotherham
A brief history of Chesterfield
A brief history of Yorkshire
A brief history of Leeds