A BRIEF HISTORY OF SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN, CANADA
By Tim Lambert
Saskatoon was founded in 1883 by a group of temperance Methodists from Toronto led by John Neilson Lake. It was probably named after a local berry. However at first Saskatoon was a tiny settlement. The railway reached Saskatoon in 1890 but it remained very small with a population only a little over 100. However in the early 20th century Saskatoon boomed. By 1911 its population had soared to 12,000 and by 1931 it was 43,000.
Meanwhile Stone School House was built in 1887. Saskatoon was incorporated as a city in 1906 and the University of Saskatchewan was founded in 1907. Memorial Art Gallery was founded in 1919.
Saskatoon suffered severely during the depression of the 1930s. However the second half of the 20th century brought prosperity. Saskatoon continued to grow and its boundaries were extended to include neighboring communities. By 1971 the population of Saskatoon had risen to 126,000. Amenities in the city improved. Mendel Art Gallery opened in 1964 and The Convention Centre opened in 1968. Sturdy Stone Centre opened in 1977. Wanuskewin Heritage Park was created in 1992 and City Hospital opened in 1993.
Saskatoon is also an important shopping centre. Midtown Plaza opened in 1968. It was followed by Confederation Centre in 1968 and The Centre opened in 1995.
Today Saskatoon is a thriving city. Today the population of Saskatoon is 261,000.
A Brief History of Edmonton
A Brief History of Montreal
A Brief History of Ottawa
A Brief History of Regina
A Brief History of Toronto
A Brief History of Vancouver
City of Saskatoon